Your body weight indicates your health condition and one of the important tools to assess your health is Body Mass Index (BMI). BMI is a useful measure of overweight and obesity. The Higher your BMI, the higher you are at risk of developing diseases like heart diseases, High Blood pressure, diabetes etc.
For people who are overweight and obese, doctors assistance is required to monitor overall weight management program. Your doctor can monitor the entire diet plan and will make sure that your diet is right for your system. More importantly your physician can ensure that your weight loss plan is not putting you at further health risk.
Involve your doctor in your weight-loss efforts
Before starting a weight-loss program, talk to your doctor as your physician will help you to set your weight loss targets. You and your doctor can discuss what may be contributing to your weight gain — in rare cases, certain medical conditions or medications can cause unwanted weight gain. And you can discuss how to exercise safely, especially if you have trouble or pain carrying out normal daily tasks.
Talk to your doctor about weight-loss plans you may have tried before and what you liked or didn’t like about them. Also discuss if you have tried any low calories diets.
Doctor’s supervision has the following advantages:
- Doctor can decide how much weight you should lose based on your medical history
- Provides you appropriate nutrient rich diet plan and exercise program
- Can monitor all the medications you are taking and whether medications need to be stopped or not
- Doctor can monitor any health issue that may come up during this process.
Who all require doctor’s assistance in weight loss?
- Doctors help is specially required in people wherein along with high body weight other health issues like diabetes, thyroid, cardiovascular etc are also present
- Highly Obese or “severely obese,” which means having BMI of 40 or more are also needs to be closely monitored
- All those who are taking medications that may need adjusting as you lose weight
Your physician will not only help you in losing weight but will also provide you emotional and motivational support that you require during this process. Obesity and being overweight constitute a complicated condition and losing weight safely and effectively, and keeping it off, requires patience and understanding.